“Chemical resistance” doesn’t mean the same thing for every electronic medical device application. Chemical attack from disinfectants, solvents, and other agents may take its toll immediately—or only after repeated exposure and everyday stress.
In all cases, chemical resistance improves durability by resisting aesthetic and functional changes following exposure to a chemical and stress. Such chemical attack catalyzes environmental stress cracking (ESC) and reduces rigidity, clarity, modulus, and Tg — as well as making a device predisposed to dynamic fatigue.
Cracking the code for device durability.
Claiming chemical resistance for an opaque material doesn’t ensure device durability. Some materials offer compatibility with bleach and hydrogen peroxide, but are susceptible to attack by isopropyl alcohol or Virex® Tb. Others offer poor or no chemical resistance properties against most medical disinfectant wipes.
You can break through the confusion with a critical evaluation of every candidate material:
- Understand what is in the material—especially if it is an “alloy” or blend
- Understand its compatibility with popular disinfectants
- Demand test results to support your FDA registration
- Calculate the value of a material change for fulfilling service contracts.
A trusted supplier like Eastman understands your goals and is a reliable partner for problem solving. Eastman has the resources to ensure you have the material and technical support you need for durable polymer solutions in your electronic devices—from design to full commercialization and marketing.
Changing materials can have durable benefits.
Our medical device housing materials are opaque, BPA-free polymers that offers excellent chemical resistance and can deliver:
- Superior impact resistance and durability after disinfection, compared to commonly used materials such as PC, PC/ABS, PC/PBT, or PC/PET
- Glossy, clean finish after repeated applications of bleach and alcohol
- Reduced downtime and repair costs
- Custom coloring available through the Eastman Color Technology Center
- Less noise in devices where sound reduction is valued
- Processability—moldability and resistance to solvents
- Halogen-free formulation does not require stainless steel tooling
- Eastman technical and design assistance, including TritanMoldIt.com
- Flame resistance (Underwriters Laboratories [UL] 94 V2 flame rating)
Collaboration with Eastman can help you crack the code of long lasting durability in medical diagnostic and electronic devices.
To learn more about how Eastman materials can help extend the life of your medical device housings and hardware, watch one of our webinars or contact us now.