At Eastman, we are committed to protecting the environment through the continuous improvement of our energy performance. To foster that commitment, we joined ENERGY STAR® as a Partner in 2008 and began following the ENERGY STAR® Guidelines for Energy Management.
ENERGY STAR® was introduced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1992 as a voluntary market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through increased energy efficiency. ENERGY STAR® offers businesses and consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy, money and help protect the environment for future generations.
We are pleased and honored to once again be named by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as a 2013 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year. Eastman is the only chemical company to have the distinction of being named ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year more than once. This recognition confirms Eastman's efforts in achieving energy efficiencies in our operations which is a key part of our commitment to being a sustainable chemical company.
The 2013 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year award recognizes:
- Eastman's commitment to saving energy. The company improved energy intensity by 2.5 percent in 2012 and 7 percent since 2008.
- Eastman's results. Energy savings in 2012 totaled $8 million and 340 million pounds of greenhouse gas emissions. These emissions equal that of 28,000 cars.
- Eastman’s processes. The company has identified more than $7 million in savings opportunities since 2010 using an energy assessment process.
- Eastman's recognition. The company received American Chemistry Council (ACC) energy efficiency awards for seven projects saving over 483,000 MM BTUs and 40,000 tons of greenhouse emissions annually.
- Eastman's awareness efforts. The company continues to promote a culture of energy efficiency to a wide audience including a company energy fair, participation in EPA’s Battle of the Buildings, and involvement of the corporate headquarters’ city mayor in declaring ENERGY STAR day among other outreach efforts.
Our commitment to energy performance improvements is supported by the resources and tools offered through ENERGY STAR®. These tools are not only available to us as a company, but to our employees as well.