For the 26th consecutive year, the American Chemistry Council (ACC) honored Eastman with multiple Responsible Care® Energy Efficiency Awards for energy-efficiency improvements in 2018. Combined, the five winning projects eliminate greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to that from 4,700 cars and save enough energy to power 2,700 homes.
One of only 16 companies to be recognized at the annual Responsible Care® Conference and Expo, Eastman brought home five of the 37 awards presented for outstanding projects. ACC deemed 10 awards as “Exceptional Merit,” two going to Eastman.
Eastman’s winning projects for Energy Efficiency Program include:
- **Optimization of Recovery Loader Control Program in Acid Recovery, Kingsport (TNO) site
- **Making Butanol Greener: Major Energy Reduction through Strategic Product Management, Longview (TXO) site
- Reducing Middle Column Temperatures to Increase Water Concentration in Column Underflow, Kingsport (TNO) site
- Weaker Acid to Scrubbers, Kingsport (TNO) site
- Process Optimization to Reduce Alcohol Recovery Column Steam Usage, Longview (TXO) site
** indicates Exceptional Merit award
The ACC Responsible Care Energy Efficiency Awards program is among the organization’s many ongoing initiatives to improve energy efficiency. ACC member companies nominate specific projects for recognition under the award program. The judging committee is typically comprised of selected ACC member companies. The full list of winners is available here. As a materials company for nearly 100 years and a Responsible Care® company for more than 30 years, Eastman has comprehensive guidelines and processes in place for reducing energy usage and minimizing our environmental footprint. Eastman has a long-standing history of commitment to safety, environmental stewardship and corporate responsibility, as evidenced by the focus on continual improvement and award-winning energy management program.
Earlier this year, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recognized Eastman with a 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence award for continued leadership and superior contributions to ENERGY STAR, marking Eastman’s eighth consecutive Partner of the Year honor.