Several regulatory agencies reviewed numerous data and how they approved this safe plastic for use are as follows:
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration provided clearance for use in food contact applications.
- Health Canada allowed for use in food contact applications.
- European Food Safety Authority and European Commission provided clearance for use in food contact applications; and the European Commission, the executive arm of the European Union (EU), approved the Plastics Implementing Measure allowing the use of a key monomer in Tritan for repeat-use food contact applications.
- China's Ministry of Health has published this plastic on its official list of resins for use in food contact applications.
- Japan Hygienic Olefin and Styrene Plastics Association amended its list of certified polymers to include the composition of Tritan.
- NSF International approved for food equipment materials (NSF 51) and drinking water system components (NSF 61)
To ensure that Tritan is a safe plastic, Eastman worked with accredited universities and independent third-party testing labs that used well-recognized scientific methods to perform product testing to detect potential estrogenic activity or androgenic activity (see FAQs). These tests included computer modeling, as well as in vitro and in vivo studies on the monomers and finished products.
The following laboratories conducted the product testing:
- Department of Pharmacology, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Center for Environmental Biotechnology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- WIL Research Laboratories, LLC
Eastman is confident in this product testing and that Tritan is a safe plastic. In fact, Tritan was tested using multiple tests in an approach modeled after US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Endocrine Disruption Screening Program (EDSP) (http://www.epa.gov/endo/).
This comprehensive body of testing ensures that Tritan measures up to the highest standard for assessing safe plastic.
To learn more about these testing methods and results, visit the FAQs page.
Eastman Tritan™ has been reviewed independently and approved for use as a safe plastic in many food contact applications by numerous regulatory agencies around the world.
If you have other specific questions, send us an
If you’re a media member and would like more information, visit the
Tritan media room.
See how Tritan safety
is supporting your confidence.
The science behind
safe plastic testing.