All product safety testing is not created equal
When developing Eastman Tritan™ copolyester, Eastman used industry-recognized tests to measure key Tritan properties such as toughness and clarity.
Knowing that plastic safety is a prime concern for consumers, Eastman also relies on regulatory agencies and third-party testing laboratories to conduct independent, comprehensive, safe plastic testing on Tritan.
- The rigorous testing has been reviewed independently and approved by regulatory agencies around the world and has resulted in Tritan receiving health and food administration approval cleared for use in many food contact applications by:
- Health Canada
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- European Food Safety Authority and European Commission
- China’s Ministry of Health
- Japan Hygienic Olefin and Styrene Plastics Association
- Eastman has worked with reputable, independent third-party testing laboratories using well-recognized scientific methods to test Tritan for potential estrogenic activity or androgenic activity (see Plastic Safety FAQs). These tests include a variety of computer modeling (Quantitative Structure Activity Relationship or QSAR), as well as in vitro and in vivo studies on the monomers and finished products. The following third-party testing laboratories conducted the product safety testing:
- Department of Pharmacology, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- CeeTox, Inc.
- Center for Environmental Biotechnology, University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- WIL Research Laboratories, LLC
- The results of the monomer studies assessing endocrine activity and an explanation of the testing estrogenic and androgenic activity were published in Food and Chemical Toxicology, Vol. 50, Issue 2.
This comprehensive safe plastic testing assures Eastman that Eastman Tritan™ copolyester measures up to the highest standard for assessing estrogenic activity and safety. To learn more about these testing methods and results, visit Tritan Safety—Get the Facts. Or download literature using the links on this page.
If you have other specific questions, send us an email or call 888-321-6768.
If you’re a media member and would like more information, visit the Tritan media room.
See how Tritan safety
is supporting your confidence.
The science behind
safe plastic testing.