The future looks clear for blood contact devices. Healthcare professionals need a clear view of blood contact components to detect entrapped air, thrombosis, blood leakage, and other critical conditions. Lives depend on it.
Eastman Tritan™ copolyester is an innovative polymer with durable clarity in the face of rigorous healthcare environments. Tritan offers a balance of chemical resistance and impact strength and is made without BPA—all advantages over other engineering thermoplastics. Tritan adds value by improving reliability and safety and inspiring clinician confidence in applications including:
- Bubble traps
- Hematological reservoirs
- Housings for hematological filters
- Housings for cardioplegia filters
- Connectors and stopcocks
Blood management devices
- Centrifuge bowls
- Blood separation cassettes
- Blood microfilters
Renal dialysis devices
- Hemodialysis systems and accessories
- Peritoneal dialysis systems and accessories
Tritan stands up to blood, lipids, disinfectants, and sterilization.
Medical device manufacturers are under greater pressure than ever to provide innovative products that can withstand sterilization, medical disinfectants, powerful new drugs and carriers, and other chemicals.
- Parts made with Eastman Tritan™ copolyester retain transparency after sterilization—including gamma or electron beam (e-beam) irradiation, and ethylene oxide (EtO) sterilization.
- Best-in-class chemical resistance helps devices retain aesthetic and functional integrity after sterilization and exposures to blood, lipids, and aggressive medical disinfectants.
- Compatibility of Tritan with solvents and adhesives provides greater flexibility for secondary processes and solvent bonding of PVC or polyurethane tubes with device connectors.
- Tritan is made without bisphenol A (BPA), halogens, or ortho-phthalates.
- Tritan can reduce fibrinogen adsorption, compared with other polymers.
Clear advantages for processing, too
Consistent high quality Eastman Tritan™ copolyester can eliminate the secondary annealing step required to reduce stress cracking issues in some devices made with polycarbonate (PC). This can reduce processing bottlenecks, improve yield, and reduce overall system costs:
Good resin flow and easy release
- Reduced black specks and flow marks
- Greater flexibility for solvent bonding and other secondary operations
- Excellent impact strength—especially valuable for devices with multiple ports