Eastman’s versatile portfolio of cellulose esters is designed to meet the performance, aesthetic, and productivity needs that our customers care about. For more than 80 years, Eastman’s cellulose ester technology has provided versatile, bio-based polymers designed to enable our customers in many different industries and markets to formulate higher performing quality products. These formulated products are applied to metal, wood, textiles, cloth, paper, tablets, plastic and leather substrates and serve important markets such as automotive, furniture, ink, adhesive, protective, marine, electronic, cosmetic, personal care, pharmaceutical, textile and packaging.
Eastman also offers a portfolio of thirteen cellulose esters for use in food contact applications such as inks, adhesives, tapes and labels, and internal can coatings. These products meet requirements for use in certain food contact applications under regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (21 CFR), European Commission (Regulation 10/2011), and the Swiss Ordinance on Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (SR 817.023.21). They are manufactured, stored, handled, and transported by Eastman under conditions adhering to current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) for food contact applications. Contact your Eastman representative or authorized Eastman distributor for specific regulatory compliance documentation.
In addition, Eastman’s cellulose esters are also used in a variety of
In formulations, Eastman’s cellulose esters are known for:
- Enhancing aesthetics through improved flow and leveling
- Ability to act as a dispersing agent, such as enhancing “flop” in metallic coatings and films or providing for consistent colors by “locking” pigments in position
- Formulation flexibility
- UV stability
- Good adhesion or, conversely, release properties
- Used as an additive or co-resin
- In coatings and inks, reducing drying time (fast dry-to-touch), excellent hardness development and reduced blocking
- Crosslinking with isocyanates and amino resins